Its been awhile since I last posted. I’ve been using the time to get serious about life. It’s been a year of huge changes. Christmas is coming in just a couple of short weeks, and as the new year approaches, I can honestly say I will be happy to see the last of 2018.
While the stores are full of festive lights and songs, for many the holidays are anything but merry. Not only is it a time to celebrate, or so we’re told, but also a time many reflect on people they have lost, circumstances that have changed, and things left undone or unsaid. As I reflect on my own changes this year, I am hoping that in the end it will all have been worth it, that around that next corner are people and opportunities that will push me in a more positive direction.
I don’t want to be a total downer, so I will start by listing a few things I am grateful for this holiday season.
- My oldest son is coming home for Christmas after being away the last 2. Last year he was in the middle east with the air force.
- I have had the support of amazing friends this year and without them, I would have been lost.
- I have turned 50, a major life milestone that some of my friends never reached.
- I am blessed with 2 sons.
- I have my own business, and it gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment that no job ever has.
So what have I learned this year? Here are a few more things in a nutshell.
- Businesses will have ups and downs, and you need to be able to roll with both.
- If things aren’t working, change them.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things and take leaps of faith. It won’t always work out, but at least you tried.
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you, because they will be your cheerleaders when you don’t believe in yourself.
- Value yourself, and remember people will treat you like you let them.
- Be courageous, even if you think you can’t be.
I have some new ideas brewing for 2019 for both my business and my personal life. My focus on my glass work this year is going to be on my wholesale and online business. But I also have some new things I hope to introduce. You’ll just have to wait and see! And that’s part of what’s exciting about life. You never know who, or what, might be around the next corner.